Last updated: October 2, 2014
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Hat Tip Inc. (“Hat Tip”, “we,” or “us”) and our mobile (including tablet) applications, downloadable software, web sites, networks, embeddable widgets, and other services provided by us (our “Service”).
This Policy is incorporated into and is subject to the Hat Tip End User License Agreement. Capitalized terms used but not defined in this Policy have the meaning given to them in the Hat Tip End User License Agreement.
The information we collect on the Service:
- User-provided Information. When you use the Service, you may provide and we may collect personal information (also known as “personally identifiable information”) which is information that specifically identifies an individual. Examples of personal information include name, email address, mailing address, mobile phone number, and credit card or other billing information. Personal information may also include other information, such as date of birth or geographic area, when such information is linked to information that identifies a specific individual. You may provide us with personal information in various ways on the Service. For example, you provide us with personal information when you register for an account, use the Service, post User Content, interact with other users of the Service through communication or messaging features, or send us customer service-related requests.
- Cookies. When you use the Service, we may send one or more small text files containing strings of alphanumeric characters (“cookies”) to your mobile device, computer, or web browser (“device”). Cookies may be persistently stored on your device and may be accessed during your future uses of the Service (for example, to save your preferences).
- “Automatically Collected” Information. When you use the Service, we may automatically record certain information from your device by using various types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This “automatically collected” information may include your device type, IP address or other device address or ID, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after you use the Service, the pages or other content you view or otherwise interact with on the Service, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Service. We also may use these technologies to collect information regarding your interaction with email messages, such as whether you opened, clicked on, or forwarded a message.
- Location Information. We may obtain information about your physical location, such as by the use of GPS and other geolocation features in your device.
- Third Party Web Beacons and Third Party Buttons. We may also implement third-party content or advertising on the Service that may use clear gifs or other forms of web beacons, which allow the third-party content provider to track certain user actions and to read and write cookies to your device in connection with your viewing of the third party content on the Service. Additionally, we may implement third party buttons (such as Facebook “like” or “share” buttons) that may allow third parties to collect information about you through such third parties’ browser cookies, even when you do not interact with the button. Information collected through web beacons and buttons is collected directly by these third parties, and Hat Tip does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by a third party in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
- Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information, including personal information, from third parties and sources other than the Service, such as our partners, advertisers, users, and Integrated Services. If we combine or associate information from other sources with personal information that we collect through the Service, we will treat the combined information as personal information in accordance with this Policy.
How we use the information we collect. We use information we collect on the Service in a variety of ways in providing the Service and operating our business, including the following:
- We use the information that we collect on the Service to operate, maintain, enhance and provide all features of the Service; to provide services and information that you request; to respond to comments and questions and otherwise to provide support to users; to promote users and businesses; and to process and deliver entries and rewards in connection with promotions that may be offered from time to time on the Service.
- We use the information that we collect on the Service to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Service, and to develop new products, services, features, and functionality.
- We may use your email address or other information we collect on the Service (i) to contact you for administrative purposes such as customer service or to address intellectual property infringement, privacy violations or defamation issues related to your User Content posted on the Service; or (ii) to send communications, including updates on promotions and events, relating to products and services offered by us and by third parties we work with. Generally, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving any promotional communications as described below under “Your Choices.”
- We also may use your information as may be described in a notice to you at the time the information is collected, or in any other manner to which you consent.
When we disclose information. We may disclose information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- Any information placed or included by a user in a publicly accessible area of the Service, such as a public profile page or review, will be available to (and we may distribute it to) anyone who has access to that content, including other users, social media communities, and the general public.
- We work with third party service providers to provide website or application development, hosting, maintenance, and other services for us. These third parties may have access to or process your information as part of providing those services for us. Generally, we limit the information provided to these service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than performing their functions.
- We may make certain automatically-collected, aggregated, or otherwise non-personally-identifiable information available to third parties for various purposes, including (i) compliance with various reporting obligations; (ii) for business or marketing purposes; or (iii) to assist such parties in understanding our users’ interests, habits, and usage patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality available through the Service.
- We may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- We also reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to (i) take precautions against liability, (ii) protect ourselves or others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations, (iv) protect the security or integrity of the Service and any facilities or equipment used to make the Service available, or (v) protect our property or other legal rights (including, but not limited to, enforcement of our agreements), or the rights, property, or safety of others.
- Information about our users, including personal information, may be disclosed and otherwise transferred to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
- We also may disclose your information as may be described in a notice to you at the time the information is collected, or in any other manner to which you consent.
You may, of course, decline to share certain personal information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Service. You may update or correct your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your applicable profile page or account preferences page on the Service. If you wish to access, amend, or delete any other personal information we hold about you, or to request that we delete any information about you that we have obtained from another user or from an Integrated Service, you may contact us at “privacy [at] hattip [dot] com”. Please note that while any changes you make to your profile will be reflected in active user databases within a reasonable period of time, we may retain all information for backups, archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, analytics, satisfaction of legal obligations, or where we otherwise reasonably believe that we have a legitimate reason to do so.
Your device may offer settings or other user customization options (such as web browser extensions) that allow you to prevent the Service from obtaining certain information, such as cookies or your current location. Please be aware that, if you limit the Service’s ability to access information, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential.
If you receive commercial email from us, you may unsubscribe at any time by following the instructions contained within the email, or contacting Hat Tip directly. You may also opt-out from receiving commercial email from us, and any other promotional communications that we may send to you from time to time, by sending your request to us by email at “privacy [at] hattip [dot] com”. We may allow you to view and modify settings relating to the nature and frequency of promotional communications that you receive from us in user account functionality on the Service.
Please be aware that if you opt-out of receiving commercial email from us or otherwise modify the nature or frequency of promotional communications you receive from us, it may take up to ten business days for us to process your request, and you may receive promotional communications from us that you have opted-out from during that period. Additionally, even after you opt-out from receiving commercial messages from us, you will continue to receive administrative messages from us regarding the Service.
Our Service is not directed to children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without seeking parental consent. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Service at any time or in any manner. If we learn that personal information about persons under 13 years of age has been collected on the Service without parental consent, then we will take the appropriate steps to delete the information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years of age has obtained an account on the Service, or that information about your child under 13 years of age has been collected by or posted on the Service, then you may alert us at “privacy [at] hattip [dot] com” and request that we delete that child’s personal information from our systems.
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of your personal information. We are not an information technology company, and cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Service, and you do so at your own risk. Similarly, we cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Although we may allow you to adjust your privacy settings to limit access to certain personal information, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures on the Service. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users with whom you may choose to share your information. Further, even after information posted on the Service is removed, caching and archiving services may have saved that information, and other users or third parties may have copied or stored the information available on the Service. We cannot and do not guarantee that information you post on or transmit to the Service will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
The Service is hosted in the United States and is intended for service workers and service recipients located within the United States. If you choose to use the Service from the European Union or other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you are transferring your personal information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. Also, we may transfer your data from the U.S. to other countries or regions in connection with storage and processing of data, fulfilling your requests, and operating the Service. By providing any information, including personal information, on or to the Service, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Changes and Updates to this Policy
Please revisit this page periodically to stay aware of any changes to this Policy, which we may update from time to time. If we modify the Policy, we will make it available through the Service, and indicate the date of the latest revision. In the event that the modifications materially alter your rights or obligations hereunder, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you of the change. For example, we may send a message to the email address you have provided to us, or generate a pop-up or similar notification when you access the Service for the first time after such material changes are made. Your continued use of the Service after the revised Policy has become effective indicates that you have read, understood and agreed to the current version of the Policy.
Our Contact Information
Please contact us with any questions or comments about this Policy, your personal information, our use and disclosure practices, or your consent choices by email at “privacy [at] hattip [dot] com”.